CHAPTER 34--INDIAN CHILD PROTECTION AND FAMILY VIOLENCE PREVENTION
Sec. 3207. Character investigations
(a) By Secretary of the Interior and Secretary of Health and Human Services
The Secretary and the Secretary of Health and Human Services shall--
(1) compile a list of all authorized positions within their respective departments the duties and responsibilities of which involve regular contact with, or control over, Indian children,
(2) conduct an investigation of the character of each individual who is employed, or is being considered for employment, by the respective Secretary in a position listed pursuant to paragraph (1), and
(3) prescribe by regulations minimum standards of character that each of such individuals must meet to be appointed to such positions.
(b) Criminal records
The minimum standards of character that are to be prescribed under this section shall ensure that none of the individuals appointed to positions described in subsection (a) of this section have been found guilty of, or entered a plea of nolo contendere or guilty to, any felonious offense, or any of two or more misdemeanor offenses, under Federal, State, or tribal law involving crimes of violence; sexual assault, molestation, exploitation, contact or prostitution; crimes against persons; or offenses committed against children.
(c) Investigations by Indian tribes and tribal organizations
Each Indian tribe or tribal organization that receives funds under the Indian Self-Determination and Education Assistance Act [25 U.S.C. 450 et seq.] or the Tribally Controlled Schools Act of 1988 [25 U.S.C. 2501 et seq.] shall--
(1) conduct an investigation of the character of each individual who is employed, or is being considered for employment, by such tribe or tribal organization in a position that involves regular contact with, or control over, Indian children, and
(2) employ individuals in those positions only if the individuals meet standards of character, no less stringent than those prescribed under subsection (a) of this section, as the Indian tribe or tribal organization shall establish.