- Member of the Scottish Parliament (MSP)
- Pro to the question "Should Prostitution Be Legal?"
“The Swedish situation is that they banned sex for sale, which we don’t think is feasible. It drives it underground, and when it’s driven underground, criminality, the trafficking of women, and drugs are under much less scrutiny by the police, because they just don’t have the intelligence about what’s going on if the women are hidden.
…Whether people like it or not, it is sex between two consenting adults.”
AlterNet, Jan. 6, 2006
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the study of prostitution. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to prostitution issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Member, Parliament of Scotland, 1997-present
- Journalist, 1983-present
- 14th Most Powerful Woman in Scotland, The Scotsman, 2004
- MSP Campaigner of the Year, The Herald, 2003
- MSP Campaigner of the Year, The Herald, 2002
- MSP Maverick of the Year, The Herald, 2000
- Broadcaster, Radio Forth, 1981-1983
- Director of a shelter, 1978-1981
- Deputy Leader, Scottish Nation Party, 1974-1979
- Member, Parliament of the United Kingdom, 1973-1974
- Teacher of Physical Education, 1963-1965
- Hamilton Academy
- Ms. MacDonald died on Apr. 4, 2014 at age 70
- Quoted in: