- Former Police Chief of Seattle, Washington
- Pro to the question "Should Prostitution Be Legal?"
[In response to “What about your position that prostitution should be legalized? What led you to that conclusion?”]
“Prostitution is more difficult. I know that there are women who are drawn to the sex industry and entered it voluntarily and get quite upset if others say it is a demeaning occupation….
I also know that many women are not there by choice. It offends my sensibilities to know that a 16-year-old girl could physically or psychologically be forced into the sex industry.
On the other hand, if you’re taking the view that adults can make choices about what to do with their bodies and their lives, you have to have some intellectual integrity on this issue. Then, the more compelling issue becomes the personal safety of sex workers. If you look at the majority of serial killers, they are doing it outdoors and with the use of their cars. Very few states and no major cities haven’t experienced the serial killing of prostitutes. For me, the logical solution is to take it indoors and get it off the streets. Even indoor prostitution carries it’s own risks, but on the whole it is safer.”
In These Times, Nov. 2, 2005
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with MDs, JDs, PhDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to the study of prostitution. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to prostitution issues.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Chief of Police, Seattle Police Department, 1994-2000
- San Diego Police Deparment, 1966-1994
- Advisory Board Member, National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws (NORML)
- Advisory Board Member, Law Enforcement Against Prohibition (LEAP)
- Member, Board of Directors, Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Services, San Juan County, Washington
- PhD, Leadership and Human Behavior, United States International University
- MS, Criminal Justice Administration, San Diego State University
- BS, Criminal Justice Administration, San Diego State University
- Graduate, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) National Executive Institute
- None found